I want to take a moment to plug the Palettes & Quills chapbook contest (deadline Sept 1), prize $200 and 50 copies. This year’s judge is J.P. Dancing Bear. I was fortunate enough to win this contest in 2010 and I was honestly blown away by the good nature and hard work of these folks! They didn’t just publish the chapbook; they brought me out for readings AND promoted the chapbook all over the place. Easily one of the best and most professional bunches I’ve ever worked with! I already linked to their page above but I’ll cut and paste their guidelines here, as well. Good luck!
Palettes & Quills 3rd Biennial Poetry Chapbook Competition
with Judge J. P. Dancing Bear
Open to All Writers
Prize: A $200 cash award plus 50 copies of the published book. Additional copies will be available at an author’s discount. All finalists will receive one free copy of the published book. All contest entrants will be offered a special discount on the purchase price of the published book.
A complete submission should include:
· Manuscript between 14-50 pages on 8 ½ x 1″ paper. Use a standard 12 pt font, such as Garamond or Times New Roman. Manuscripts should be in English and contain no illustrations.
· A cover sheet with the contest name (The Palettes & Quills 3rd Biennial Chapbook Contest), your name, address, telephone, email, and the title of your manuscript. Your name should not appear anywhere else in the manuscript.
· A title page with just the title of the manuscript.
· An acknowledgements page. Poems included in your manuscript may be previously published, but please include an acknowledgements page listing specific publications.
· A complete Table of Contents.
· Payment of a $20.00 non-refundable entry fee (check or money order payable in U.S. dollars made out to Palettes & Quills). Please do not send cash. Multiple submissions are accepted, but we require a separate entry fee for each manuscript you submit.
· Self-addressed stamped post card for confirmation of receipt and a self-addressed enve stamped envelope (please use a Forever Stamp) for announcement of the winners. (International submissions must include an IRC.)
· You must also include a statement that all poems are your own original work.
Mail your entry to Donna M. Marbach, Palettes & Quills Chapbook Contest, 330 Knickerbocker Avenue, Rochester, NY 14615. Manuscripts will not be returned. No electronic or faxed submissions will be accepted. However, we will request an electronic copy of the winning manuscript.
Deadline: September 1, 2012. Manuscripts postmarked after September 1 will not be read.
Winners will be announced on the Palettes & Quills website in December 2012.
Manuscripts by multiple authors will not be accepted. Translations will not be accepted.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, you must immediately notify Palettes & Quills.
Judging: Final judge is J. P. Dancing Bear, the author of nine collections of poetry, most recently, Inner Cities Of Gulls (2010, Salmon Poetry), and winner of a PEN Oakland-Josephine Miles National Literary Awards. His next two books : Family of Marsupial Centaurs, will be released by Iris Press; and Fish Singing Foxes, will be released by Salmon Poetry. He is editor for the American Poetry Journal and Dream Horse Press. Bear also hosts the weekly hour-long poetry show, OUT OF OUR MINDS, on public station, KKUP and available as podcasts.